Dr. Amit Kumar
Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow
School of Chemistry
University of St. Andrews, UK
- Since Jan 2020 Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow, School of Chemistry, University of St. Andrews
- Aug 2016-Dec 2019 Postdoc with Prof. David Milstein, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Sep 2012-May 2016 DPhil (Rhodes Scholar) with Prof. Andrew Weller, University of Oxford, UK
- Aug 2007-May 2012 Integrated M.Sc. Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India
- Leverhulme Trust Early Career fellowship (Jan 2020-Dec 2022), University of St. Andrews.
- PBC fellowship (Planning and Budgeting Committee of Israel) for carrying postdoctoral research at the Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel (Aug 2016-Aug 2019).
- Rhodes scholarship for the doctoral research at the University of Oxford (Oct 2012-Sep 2015).
- IIT-ParisTech fellowship to work on ‘Cobalt Catalyzed C-C Bond Forming Reactions’ with Dr. Audrey Auffrant at Ecole Polytechnique, Paris (15 May 2012-31 July 2012).
- DAAD-WISE fellowship to work on ‘Gold Catalyzed Cycloisomerization of Allenes Bearing Two Heteroatoms’ with Prof. Norbert Krause at T U Dortmund, Germany (01 May 2010-31 July 2010)
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) fellowship for excelling in science studies amongst undergraduate students of India by Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (Aug 2008- July 2012).
- Indian Academy of Science fellowship to work on ‘Novel Multicomponent Reactions Involving Heterocyclic Nitrogen Nucleophiles, Allene esters and Isatilidines’ with Dr. G. Vijay Nair at NIIST Trivandrum, India (01 May 2009-31 July 2009 and 01 May 2008-31 July 2008).
- INSPIRE scholarship for the excellent performance in Science studies amongst undergraduate students of India by Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India (Aug 2007-July 2008).
- Poster prize at the 12th CaRLa Winter School (Feb 17-22, 2019) organised by the University of Heidelberg and the BASF.
- ‘FGS Prize’ (Feinberg Graduate School, Weizmann Institute of Science) for outstanding achievements in postdoctoral research, 2018.
- ‘RSC Advance Best Poster Prize’ at the 98th Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition’, Ottawa (June 13-17, 2015).
- ‘Institute Silver Medal’ for obtaining the highest CGPA (9.25/10) amongst the students of Integrated M.Sc. Chemistry class at IIT Roorkee, India.
Invited Lectures and Conferences
- Global Inorganic Discussion Weekdays (GIDW, Feb 22, 2022: To be delivered)
- ScotChem ECR Seminar (Nov 23, 2021: To be delivered).
- Johnson Matthey, Cambridge (Sep 10, 2021).
- Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick (Nov 19, 2020).
- 12th CaRLa Winter School (Feb 17-22, 2019) organised by the University of Heidelberg and the BASF.
- 28th International Conference on Organometallic Chemistry, Florence (15-20 July, 2018).
- 21st International Symposium on Homogeneous Catalysis, Amsterdam (8-13 July, 2018).
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (8th August, 2016).
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay (5th August, 2016).
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (2nd August, 2016).
- Indian Institute of Technology, Patna (1st July, 2016).
- 98th Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa (June 13-17, 2015).
- 41st International Conference on Coordination Chemistry, Singapore (July 21-25, 2014).
- 15th Modern Trend in Inorganic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee (Dec 13-16, 2013).
- RSC Coordination Chemistry Discussion Group Meeting, Imperial College, London (July 4-5, 2013).
Organizational Leadership Activities
- Member of the ED&I (Equality, Diversity & Inclusion) committee of the School of Chemistry, University St. Andrews (since Feb 2020).
- Residential Adviser (RA), Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel: As an RA, I worked with the International Office of the Weizmann Institute of Science to maintain the improved infrastructure as well as organize cultural events and scientific seminars (Apr 2018 to Dec 2020).
- Vice President, Balliol College MCR (Middle Common Room), University of Oxford: Leading a committee of 30 graduate students, I represented the graduate community of Balliol college at the university level to tackle problems such as housing and scholarships as well as organized several events (Sep 2013- Aug 2014).
- Cultural Secretary of the Oxford India Society: Organized cultural events (e.g. Holi, Diwali), classical Indian musical concerts, Bollywood parties and fundraising dinners at the University of Oxford (Dec 2012 to Dec 2014).
- Organizing Secretary of the Cognizance, one of India’s largest Technical festival at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee (April 2010).